Thursday, November 10, 2005

Free will, free agency, and responsibility

For all you guys who've been involved with my "inconsistent theology" post, here is a good blog by my friend, Rand of A Form of Sound Words.

Here is a quick preveiw:

"Man cannot do otherwise than continue in sin so long as he is in his natural state (Jer. 17:9; Prov. 4:23; Job 14:4; Jer. 13:23; John 6:65; Rom. 8:7, 8; 1 Cor. 2:14). But his continuance in sin is not due to outside compulsion or restraint, but to his own character which causes him to choose darkness rather than light (John 3:19). He continues in sin for the same reason that a hog wallows in the mire. He continues in sin for the same reason that God continues in holiness. Thus he is fully a free agent." (T.P. Simmons)

5 comments:

Rand said...

Thanks for the mention Julianne.

Take care and God bless you,

Rand

chris said...

Julianne, I'm debating someone over the compatibility of meticolous sovereignty and free agency.

Julianne said...

Chris,

Thank for the heads-up on this. Looks good.

Frank Martens said...

So check out the parable of the sower...
Matthew 13:1-9 and explain how that fits into it all :)

I can explain some of my thoughts on this, but It's definitely interesting to think about it from a predesination perspective.

Rand said...

No problem frank.

Actually Matthew 13:1-9 is usually the passage I use to explain to people why, as a Calvinist, I am involved in street preaching.

The wayside, the thorny ground and the rocky ground are all examples of the unregenerate heart. The good ground is the regenerated heart; which, consequently is the only kind of ground that can receive the seed of the Gospel.

When I am out preaching on Friday nights, I am the sower, sending out the seed (the Gospel). I know for a fact that most of the seed will find wayside, thorny and rocky ground, but I pray and hope for God to make some of those hearts to be like the good ground in the parable.

Later,

Rand